Thursday 12 December 2013

Clearing the decks......

Sabbatical or a sabbatical (from Latin sabbaticus, from Greek sabbatikos, from Hebrew shabbat, i.e., Sabbath, literally a "ceasing") is a rest from work, or a break, often lasting from two months to a year. The concept of sabbatical has a source in shmita, described several places in the Bible (Leviticus 25, for example, where there is a commandment to desist from working the fields in the seventh year). In the strict sense, therefore, a sabbatical is a year away.


The inbox has been emptied, the phone put on divert, the files transferred and the desk tidied. After 16 years as a partner at DACB, this is all a surreal experience.

Tess and I are off to do what we enjoy best....travelling. What a difference 22 years has made since we last ventured forth for a similar period of time. Then we were happy to arrive jetlagged in Buenos Aires at 2am with nothing booked and to look for a place to stay (though to be fair, in BA this is usually the time the locals are just finishing dinner). Now, as I have aged, I find my obsessional tendencies are far more to the fore and most things have been planned with military precision. Perhaps it is just age....though I hope it is not fear that is said to come with age.

We are to visit 8 countries along the way that we have not been to before, starting with Japan, in 78 days of travel.

We plan to ski, snorkel, cycle and climb. We want to cook and create. We will take over 20 flights and travel by train.

I have no idea how often I will blog. I am doing this primarily so I can keep an electronic record of some of the things we experience. You are most welcome to join us on the journey. I will post photos as we go.

We head off on Sunday knowing that I am very fortunate indeed.

Matt
 
adjective: fortunate
  1. 1.
    favoured by or involving good luck; lucky
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment